As well as the narrative, and use of media, an important factor in engagement is the load time. Leave your reader waiting to view the content, and you risk losing their attention and causing them frustration.
So, here are some pointers on keeping load time down:
- Video: It is important to keep the mb/s down as much as possible. Our recommended maximum is 2MB per 5 seconds. But that is a maximum – try to keep it even lower if possible. And if background video, remember to remove the audio – this can help to bring the file size down too (we'll mute it anyway).
- Images: Follow our size guidelines.
- Title section video: If using background video in the title section, keep it as short as possible.
- Avoid GIFs: While it is possible to upload GIFs into the editor, it is not advised as these tend to be very large files, which can impact on the load of other elements. Large animated gifs can SEVERELY affect page performance.
- Length of story: Obviously the longer the story, and the more elements included, the longer the page will take to load. Consider if the narrative could be tighter, or whether you have surplus assets not adding to the storytelling.